[syslinux] syslinux -> Windows 2008R2

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:55:51 PST 2014

> Hello,
> I'm trying to use a current Syslinux setup, that is working well for
> service linux based distros, to serve up recent Windows server installs.
> As I'm new here I'm reluctant to make any changes to the environment unless
> I've exhausted the current options.
>
> We are running Syslinux 3.71 on a Gentoo server and all the DHCP and tftpd
> are "working as they should".
>
> What I've tried so far is to just load the .iso with install media using
> memdisk.  The iso got downloaded and asked to press key to run CD/DVD but
> then continued to boot from hdd.
>
> *label Windows 2008 R2*
> *    kernel win2008R2/memdisk*
> *    append iso bigraw initrd=win2008R2/W2k8R2PXE.img*

As already mentioned to you in #syslinux irc, see:

www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK#Windows_NT.2F2000.2FXP.2F2003.
2FVista.2F2008.2F7_.28NT_based.29

> Second idea is to use WinPE and then create a boot script to get the real
> media but so far I can't get the WinPE to load.
>
> *label WinPE*
> *    com32 linux.c32 winpe/wimboot*
> *    append wimboot*
> *    initrdfile=winpe/bootmgr,winpe/bcd,winpe/boot.sdi,winpe/winpe.wim*
>

> This does nothing, it's probably to be expected as I'm trying to sidestep
> the fact that I'm supposed to updgrade to 5.01 acc. to this guide
> <http://www.howtogeek.com/162070/it-geek-how-to-network-boot-pxe-the-winpe-recovery-disk-with-pxelinux-v5-wimboot/>
> so
> I'm taking the files and dumping them into the winpe dir and link them
> there.
>
> Other things I see running here is UBCD that I can boot into but fail to
> see a good tutorial on how to run the install from it.  Grup4win is also
> available from there but that's even further into an area that I'm not
> familiar with.
>
> I'm hoping someone can look at my situation and put me on the right path
> here, perhaps link me a good tutorial that should have the steps I need to
> take, examples, anything, I'm pretty much done with my ideas at this point
> before I start breaking something.
can tell you what will fail so to reduce the time to be invested.

_ Do not use 'initrdfile=' as a separate directive, but as part of
the append line.

_ 'append initrdfile=' is not available in Syslinux 3.76.

_ Syslinux 5.01 has been superseded. I wouldn't even invest time on
it (unless for a specific test). I would suggest, either:
  _ keep what is already working and try to find a solution with your
current Syslinux version; or,
  _ if you have a clear pathway to solving the problem with Syslinux
3.xx, you _might_ want to consider updating to Syslinux 3.86 _if_
such update can solve some bug/misbehavior; or
  _ update to latest 4.xx, where 'append initrdfile=' is at least
valid (but I cannot promise it will work nor that it will actually
solve your problem; this is up to you, without guarantees and at your
own risk, so I would strongly suggest a "test bed" before actually
doing anything on the real thing); or
  _ test (not on the real thing) Syslinux 6.03 final (or newer) so to
check whether there is some relevant bug/misbehavior solved; beware
of the many differences against prior versions, including lack of
COMBOOT 16-bits and path changes (again, it is all up to you and
without any guarantees nor promises of any kind).

_In that article, it says:
The one thing to note, is that while it will look like you can start
the windows install procedure this way, you actually can´t complete
it, and making that possible is beyond the scope of this guide.

The article doesn't point to any hint / solution / explanation about
how to actually solve the problem :(.
This last point is relevant, independently of the version of
Syslinux.

Hopefully someone else can help you in a more constructive direction.

Regards,
Ady.