[syslinux] Syslinux 6.03 for booting Mac Intels?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 06:22:17 PST 2014

> Hi,
>
> So far I use the official binaries to boot an USB installer
> in UEFI and BIOS mode.
>
> I want to add a (recent) MacBooks target.
>
> I know that needs to set up on the device an HFS+ partition with a
> specific layout, but my question is: do you know if the official
> binaries:
> $SYSLINUX_SRC/efi64/efi/syslinux.efi
> $SYSLINUX_SRC/efi64/com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.e64
> work in that context?
>
> Best regards,
> Didier

AFAIK, recent (Intel-based) Macs with UEFI firmware should be able to
support ESP formatted with FAT.

At this time, syslinux.efi has no support for HFS+.

Even if the firmware itself supports HFS+ (so you could find
syslinux.efi from the firmware shell), syslinux.efi would not know how
to find/use the next files (ldlinux.e*, then the syslinux configuration
file and so on).

In the future, there _might_ be some way to load additional filesystem
drivers, although this is not at all a "near" future - not that I would
know how to code such feature - and my guess would be that HFS+ would
probably not be the first to be added / supported.

GPL-compatible additions are very welcome.

Regards,
Ady.