[syslinux] Isohybrid wiki page

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:16:17 PDT 2015

> > Anybody show me a pure SYSLINUX isohybrid ISO that boots via EFI
> > and i will be able to dissect it and hopefully derive knowledge
> > for the wiki.
>
> Well, besides the fact that after loading the kernel and the initram
> it didn't started the boot process (don't know why), this is what I
> achieved by using a disk image with syslinux.efi... :-)

My guess would be - if I am understanding your description correctly,
which I am not sure I am - that your firmware (or some EFI binary)
could be using its El Torito capabilities / methods to achieve access
to the FAT volume inside your "efiboot.img" file. In there,
'syslinux.efi' could exist (as it is a FAT volume), but then what?

In the best case scenario, 'syslinux.efi' v.6.03 located inside
"efiboot.img" could only access something inside / included in the FAT
volume, and nothing outside of it (meaning, nothing located in the
ISO9660 volume).

1_ Syslinux as of v.6.03 does not have "multifs" capabilities; it
cannot access anything outside the volume it is living in.

2_ 'syslinux.efi' as of v.6.03 does not understand ISO9660.

To be clear, I am not saying this is what is actually happening, just a
possible guess. I could be misunderstanding the case, and,
independently of my (mis)understanding, my aforementioned guess could
very well be completely wrong.

Whichever the case, the above points #1 and #2 are valid statements.

Regards,
Ady.