[syslinux] Problems with EFI PXE boot on Hp DL380p Gen9

Holger Baust holger.baust at freenet.ag
Thu Feb 5 10:02:07 PST 2015

Hello.

We are using pxelinux for years to boot Linux via PXE since years.
Since EFI is spreading, I changed configuration to be able to boot EFI
systems.

The "Client":
- HP Proliant DL380Gen9 System FW: 1.21 11/03/2014, latest available
- NIC used for booting: HP Embedded LOM 331i (Broadcom BCM 5719/ tg3),
FW: 5719-v1.38

The Server:
- ISC-DHCP with tfpd-hpa running on Debian 6.x
- syslinux 6.03, all files taken from this official binary distribution
from kernel.org
- different directories for bios / efi x64 and efi ia32 and all binaries
are in their correct directory

Remark:
Using a VM Version 9 on ESXi 5.5 with EFI boot as client runs perfect.
Using PXE on BIOS machines works without problems.

The Problem:
- Proliant tries to boot via PXE.
- NIC FW displays Params it got via DHCP:
    Station IP Address is 192.168.111.172

    Server IP Address is  192.168.111.1
    NBP filename is /efi64/bootx64.efi
    NBP filesize is 199952 bytes
   Downloading NBP file ...

    NBP file downloaded successfully.
Getting chached packet
My IP is 0.0.0.0
core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping
core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping
core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping
core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping

I think, bootx64.efi aka syslinux.efi is fetched and startet, but it
does not get the IP
correctly from a cached packet. Perhaps it should be possible to do an
additional DHCP
request syslinux.efi thinks the local IP is 0.0.0.0?

A pcap from tcpdump is attached.

Any suggestion / hint ?

Regards,
Holger Baust

--
freenet Datenkommunikations GmbH
Ein Unternehmen der freenet Group

Tel.: +49 (0) 211 53087 519
Fax: +49 (0) 211 5381573
Mobil: +49 (0) 170 4930127

holger.baust at freenet.ag
www.freenet.de
mobil.freenet.de
www.mobilcom-debitel.de

Geschäftsführung: Andreas Jürgensen, Dr. Frank Rüders
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
HRB 88147, Amtsgericht Hamburg