[syslinux] DMARC test (request)

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 07:30:48 PST 2015

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM, Patrick Masotta <masottaus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Gene:
> > Everything that comes from the list goes to my spam folder
> > because the message looks as spam to yahoo.
>
> A simple filter resolves this:
>
> Deliver to "Inbox" if
>   To/CC contains "syslinux at zytor.com"
>
> > why is not the list sending the message as coming from the list e-mail account????
> > that's why Yahoo flags the messages as spam...
>
> That was actually a debate several years ago (though I can't figure
> out the search to find it).  It seems the best option would be for a
> new version of MailMan to allow a per-subscriber option to address
> this (though this would be an enhancement request for MailMan) though
> the above filter should help.
>
> --
> -Gene
>
> >> Due to Yahoo!'s DMARC, you
> >> probably didn't see the other two tests I
> >> already sent as I didn't see this reply of
> >> yours in my Yahoo! account,
> >> both of which
> >> appeared to be Base64 encoded (though sending to my
> >> GMail they were not).  I do see yours is
> >> actually plain text
> >> -Gene

As per prior discussions, the "From:" field should remain with the
original sender. One (important) reason is that frequent participants
in the Syslinux Mailing List tend to use the "From:" field, for
instance as search filter. Changing the behavior of the "Reply-To:"
field might or might not improve the current situation.

The problem (not only for this mailing list) is based on a change in
Yahoo!'s policy, since around April 2014 (or so). This change has
specially affected mailing lists. Although some email providers are
"better" dealing with Yahoo!'s change, others have chosen to do
nothing.

For instance, users of Hotmail (and alike) participating in mailing
lists are negatively affected by this change. Other less-popular email
providers might be affected too.

There is no easy solution. Even if some Yahoo! users avoid using it for
mailing lists, there is always the chance someone might still use it
(now or in the future), so, like it or not, it is up to Mailman and
List Administrators to help solve/workaround the problem.

FWIW, I am one of those not yet receiving the mails "forwarded" by the
Syslinux Mailing List when the original sender uses some Yahoo! email
address.

Thank you and Regards,
Ady.