[syslinux] chainloading syslinux from an EFI partition to an ext4

Stoppa, Igor igor.stoppa at intel.com
Sat Jun 6 05:05:35 PDT 2015

On 6 June 2015 at 14:47, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:

> "It is often convenient to load a file directly and transfer control to it,
> instead of the sector from the disk. Note that the <file> must reside on the
> SYSLINUX's partition."

Yes, I have seen that too, but it says "convenient", which in theory leaves
open also the less convenient options :-)

In practice for me, doing what the recommendation describes, is not a viable
option, because I want to avoid having the kernel(s) in the same partition as
the EFI bootloader.

> Maybe you could get the expected result fiddling with the seg and sect
> options of chain, but I really don't know.

Yes, that might be the last resort, if everything else fails, but I
had other hopes.

>From the googling I did before initiating this thread, it seems that people
have successfully chainloaded both Windows and linux, but on different disks.

I need to do it from the same disk because I'm prototyping a system
(on the USB stick) that later on will live on the only internal storage device.

--
igor