[syslinux] Module Versioning

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:37:31 PST 2016

> On 03/02/16 16:19, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> >
> > That's not what common users are forced to deal with. Syslinux's binary
> > files in the wild come from different sources (official upstream
> > Syslinux, distros' packages, others).
> >
> > Since v.6+ (and possibly, even before it) a re-build might show some
> > inconsistencies between "the same version" of files (bootloader file,
> > c32 module, etc.).
> >
> > A "version" such as "6.03" is not enough.
> >

> I don't think that is an issue.  They will still be ABI compatible.
>
> 	-hpa

I have been forced to deal with version mismatch, and I have tried to
help other users countless times with issues related to version
mismatch.

I also opened a request for enhancement at syslinux.bugzilla.org a long
time ago, as a _starting_ point. Multiple times during several years
already, through diverse communication channels, I have brought up the
versioning issues that users - and not just common users, as Pete
Batard wrote in his email - have to deal with. Not surprisingly, I have
been mostly ignored.

Now Shao decided to ask a couple of questions about this matter in this
public Syslinux mailing list. I am not surprised that there is no
helpful answer.

I wish to be pleasantly surprised with actual effective improvements
regarding the handling of versioning, including all bootloader files
and all c32 modules in The Syslinux Project, for wichever type of build
(official release, official pre-release, official git commit, distros'
package, custom builds with patches,...). I can only hope.

Regards,
Ady.