[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Tue Mar 21 10:56:37 PDT 2017

On 03/21/2017 01:14 AM, Thomas Schmitt via Syslinux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Christensen wrote:
>> Booting the USB flash drive I prepared, the Debian installer runs:
>> [...]
>> The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation.
>
> Afaik, the software in a Debian ISO looks for particular files to
> identify the device with the ISO.
> Did you copy the whole file tree of the ISO to the USB stick filesystem ?
> Including things like the /.disk directory ?

No.  I interpreted:

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-flexible

If you used an hd-media image, you should now copy the ISO file of a
Debian ISO image[4] onto the stick. When you are done, unmount the USB
memory stick (umount /mnt).

As:

# cp -ip
/mnt/samba/data/dpchrist/iso/debian/8.7.1/i386/debian-8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso
/mnt/usb/.

>> Should I be asking on the debian-boot or debian-cd mailing lists?
>
> Yep, debian-cd at lists.debian.org should be the right one.
> I'd tell briefly what i did to set up the stick. If i had to equip a .cfg
> file with an APPEND instruction which loads Linux, then i would show
> that .cfg file.

Okay.

David