[syslinux] License Question

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 15:41:18 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Lukas Schwaighofer via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for writing so many messages.  I am doing a license review for
> syslinux in Debian and I've stumbled on the following files:
>  * efi/console.c
>  * efi/derivative.c
>  * efi/diskio.c
>  * efi/main.c
>  * efi/mem.c
>  * efi/pxe.c
>  * efi/tcp.c
>  * efi/udp.c
>
> All of them start with
> /*
>  * Copyright 2011-2014 Intel Corporation - All Rights Reserved
>  */
> with no further indication of any license.  This header was explicitly
> added to all of those files in one commit [1].  Can somone clarify under
> which license terms these files are available (and preferable add that
> information to those files)?
>
> Thank you
> Lukas
>
> [1] http://git.zytor.com/syslinux/syslinux.git/commit/?id=aa8334cfa3762aa47ea3f75eb1e9807908a2909d

Although the "All Rights Reserved" bit is supposedly implied by other
matters, it should be under GPLv2+ (2 or higher at discretion of user)
per README.  Files not under GPLv2+ should mention LGPL* (which I
think there are none) or have a short license in the file like the MIT
in com32/LICENSE.  This should only be notation of a change of the
copyright holder, not license.

--
-Gene