[syslinux] ext4 support

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 13:31:15 PST 2018

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Bernd Dreyer <dreyerbernd at hotmail.de> wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> thank very much you for the answer.
> I have trouble with EasyBCD 2.3 on a X64 Intel non UEFI system and dual boot Windows 10 and Lubuntu.

So a boot selector with fairly simple OSs.

> Both systems on logical drives.

You mean logical partitions within the drive.  In MBR partitioning,
you get 4 primary partitions, one of which could be an extended
partition containing a linked list of partition tables and logical
partitions.

> After EasyBCD configuration, Linux Grub2 menu entry does not work after a change on the system.

Are there two changes going on?  Are you saying you configure EasyBCD,
make another change then GRUB doesn't work?  Or are you being
redundant and saying that EasyBCD breaks GRUB?

> NeoGrub menu entry Seems Grub4DOD based) also does not work.
> So, I am looking for an alternative.
> Last result: Grub2win also failed. Even after most recent update.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Bernd Dreyer

If you switch to Syslinux, you'll have to resurrect the post-install
hooks for the configuration builder every time you install a new
kernel OR do it all by hand.

Alternatively, you can research into installing GRUB into Lubuntu's FS
instead of the ~63 "reserved" (read as over abused and misused)
sectors.  Does EasyBCD modify any of those?

--
-Gene