[syslinux] current state of pxelinux for UEFI...

Frantisek Rysanek Frantisek.Rysanek at post.cz
Fri Nov 15 00:06:21 PST 2019

For William R. Somsky:

On 14 Nov 2019 at 23:38, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> If you go to:
>
>  https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/syslinux-efi/download
>
> ... among additional info, you will see a (partial) list of mirrors.

[...etc,]
I'd like to second that - the .DEB is really a renamed targzipped
tarball, and the bootloader binaries are in fact pretty
distro-agnostic, as they do not depend on libc or anything else in
the user space. It's a boot loader, see? :-)

Let me repeat the following from my message:

> > Currently, the Syslinux-related binary packages in Debian are:
> >
> > _ extlinux
> > _ isolinux
> > _ pxelinux
> > _ syslinux
> > _ syslinux-common
> > _ syslinux-efi
> > _ syslinux-utils
> >
> okay thanks a lot for explaining that :-)
> So for the record at the moment:
> I've tried the syslinux.efi from
>   syslinux-efi_6.04~git20190206.bf6db5b4+dfsg1-1_all.deb
> and ldlinux.e64 from
>   syslinux-common_6.04~git20190206.bf6db5b4+dfsg1-1_all.deb

the two packages (tarballs) are at:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/syslinux-efi/download
https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/syslinux-common/download

> The current status of development of Syslinux leaves users with
> very few pragmatical choices (if/when we limit ourselves to
> Syslinux).

Apologies for following up on that subversive note:
I have recently obtained the following gem of advice from someone
called Randy Goldenberg in the help-grub at gnu.org mailing list:

> I recommend iPXE.
> http://ipxe.org/

 ;-)

Sorry to claim that here, but in my experience of the last few days,
WRT UEFI netbooting, that advice is spot on :-D
See also the attached primitive configuration example,
and that's probably just scratching the surface.

It's funny. I've known and used iPXE before, for ages, for its
original primary purpose: as a PXE bootROM. The bit I've been missing
was that today, it's also pretty useful as a chain-loadable network
bootloader that can start Linux kernels directly, can have a "config
file" (a script really) etc.

Frank Rysanek