[syslinux] UEFI syslinux PXE boot issues

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Aug 16 05:05:33 PDT 2023

Joakim Tjernlund schreef op 2023-08-16 13:15:
> On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, AL13N via Syslinux wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm used to non-UEFI PXE boot, and I use it for my network installer
>> since forever ago.
>>
>> Looking up how to UEFI PXE boot, I use the syslinux.efi file and
>> allthough it was loaded and stuff, nothing happend after it, I had at
>> least expected the ldlinux64 to be requested from the TFTP server, but
>> nothing.
>>
>> After searching, I noticed someone asking to test the new pre-release,
>> and so I downloaded the 6.04 version. I replaced the syslinux.efi file
>> only, and I got a lot more success. I symlinked the pxelinux.cfg dir
>> and
>> images so it could find the files it needed.
>>
>> Then I got the prompt, I typed "install" to trigger that menu item and
>> it transferred the vmlinuz file (14sec for 11MB). Then the initrd
>> (47MB), which takes a long time, but does not ever show the "ok", even
>> after the transfer was complete (as far as I could tell from the TFTP
>> server), which takes more than a minute. after some seconds of nothing
>> happening, it just reboots...
>>

>> Can anyone help met out here?
>>

> If I recall correctly, UEFI is somewhat broken. Try iPXE instead.

I tried to use the iPXE /usr/share/ipxe/ipxe-x86_64.efi, but it had some
issues with the network card, iirc, I think I saw the network interface
down, though it likely uses a wrong driver?

Still, the newer 6.04 one did work, except for loading the large initrd
file (which took more than 1 minute, which may be the reason it times
out?), which is probably not UEFI related?