[syslinux] Question on memdisk with UEFI boot.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at guam.net
Fri Jan 13 03:58:29 PST 2023

On Fedora machines I've gotten the memtest to work
using this:
menuentry 'Memtest' {
	echo 'Loading memdisk'
	linux16 /memdisk iso
	echo 'Loading iso'
	initrd16 /memtest86+-5.31b.iso
}

Recently tried doing it with a UEFI boot, but seems the
linux16 isn't supported, and probable not the initrd16
either. Trying to install the memtest-setup results in not
supported.

Have generally included memtest as part of my G4L
project since on occassions machines with flaky memory
are strained with disk imaging.

If booted from syslinux version with CD or USB setup,
the option works fine with regular memtest.
LABEL memtest86-5.31b
    MENU LABEL ^M: memtest86+-5.31b
    TEXT HELP
    Memory test Program to insure system Ram is Good
    ENDTEXT
    LINUX memtest

With grub4dos version that has both legacy and UEFI
boot options the earlier version with memdisk works
with legacy, but fails with UEFI boot.

Seems the free memtest doesn't work with UEFI, and
can't include the commerical one that does?

Just wondering. Took over maintaining G4L back in 2004
with it using syslinux and has been fine. Just had some
uses get machines that no longer support legacy boot
and required UEFI, so found grub4dos works for both on
same image.

Thanks.

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
(Retired)
 mailto:mikes at guam.net
 mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins