[syslinux] UEFI bootable USB stick to allow PXE booting with USB ethernet adaptors?

Dan Jackson djackson at longroad.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 01:31:23 PDT 2023

Hello,

At my workplace we have some laptops that don't have a built in Ethernet adaptor and don't natively support PXE booting using a USB Ethernet adaptor.

Is it possible to create a UEFI bootable USB stick with Syslinux that can somehow kickstart the PXE boot process using the USB Ethernet adaptor? If so, how would we do that?

Unfortunately due to the nature of the boot image, simply writing the boot image to a USB stick and trying to boot off that does not work, we specifically need to PXE boot it.

Thanks,
Dan Jackson (Network & Systems Engineer)
Long Road Sixth Form College
Cambridge, UK

Thank you for your email which we will respond to as quickly as we can. Please be aware that to support the wellbeing of our staff and students, Long Road Sixth Form College does not routinely respond to emails outside of our usual working hours.

--

[https://www.longroad.ac.uk/_site/data/files/images/logos/F077AFDB9FEBB77F977D7E6C09DA751F.png]<https://www.longroad.ac.uk>

[https://www.longroad.ac.uk/_site/data/files/images/76DB28695AB2A957B1812BD75CC585E1.png]<https://www.facebook.com/LongRoadSixthFormCollege/> [https://www.longroad.ac.uk/_site/data/files/images/CE703F46CFAF86CA4D3BBF0AB2232A7F.png] <https://twitter.com/LR6FC>  [https://www.longroad.ac.uk/_site/data/files/images/3DF251EAAF6B9B15CF4C8EC453B73AFA.png] <https://www.instagram.com/lr6fc/>

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you receive this email by mistake please notify the sender and delete it immediately. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions which do not necessarily reflect those of Long Road Sixth Form College. Please be aware that any encrypted files emailed to Long Road may be subject to a delay.