[syslinux] Is chain loading EFI apps not supported?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Mar 20 02:05:20 PDT 2023

20.03.2023 09:46, Frantisek Rysanek via Syslinux пишет:
..
> If dual-booting Windows and Linux off a hard drive is the final goal,
> I'm a bit afraid that Windows would keep "correcting" the "bootloader
> arrangement" to have the system boot Windows only. Perhaps with a
> small USB stick (dedicated to your rEFInd boot loader) you could
> achieve you goal, while Windows would be happy too (not sure).

I haven't used rEFInd heavily, maybe this is how it looks like in context
of rEFInd. But generally it does not happen. I've been using dual-boot
of windows and linux for years, and I don't need an external drive there
to fix boot order or to restore linux boot after windows (re)install.

In a few recent years I use systemd-boot, it's a simple enough EFI boot
manager. It co-exists with windows boot manager nicely. The trick is to
let both windows and linux to add their own records to EFI boot menu,
and from that point on you only need to manage the *order* in that menu.
More, it looks like even after new install of windows, it does not always
change boot menu order.  And sure thing, after selecting linux to be
booted first, you can add entries to the *linux* boot menu to boot
windows from there.

/mjt