Difference between revisions of "Syslinux 4 Changelog"
From Syslinux Wiki
(Changes in 4.04)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
=== Changes in 4.03 ===
=== Changes in 4.03 ===
Revision as of 21:47, 18 April 2011
Changes in 4.04
- PXELINUX: Fix handling of unqualified DNS names.
- PXELINUX: Fix timer bug when PXELINUX might be unloaded (Gene Cumm).
- core/writedec.inc: Fix duplicate declaration and overflow (Gene Cumm).
- GCC 4.5 fixes.
- sample directory: Fix Makefile include (Gene Cumm).
- ver.com: New universal DOS/COMBOOT application to display version information (includes DRMK) (Gene Cumm).
- rosh.c32: updated; Using getopt() for internal commands to aid parsing options; Fix bugs in ls; add warm reboot and echo (Gene Cumm).
- com32: fix a file descriptor leak.
- gfxboot.c32: handle TEXT..ENDTEXT; error out on no LABELs found (Sebastian Herbszt).
- Fix booting on non-partitioned devices.
- MBR, isohybrid: Workaround for a BIOS issue on Acer Travelmate and possibly other machines.
- COM32: Adding ACPI parsing libary
- HDT: Release 0.4.1 to support ACPI parsing, improved mutli-core/cpu reporting
- LUA: Updating to 5.1.4-2
- SYSLINUX: core/diskstart.inc: Reset DS after checksum in case it isn't 0 (Gene Cumm).
- win64: Script update for additional mingw compiler names (Gene Cumm).
- diag: New directory for diagnostic-related tools. Add a handoff MBR/VBR and geometry display images (Gene Cumm).
- MEMDISK: use "mem=" parameter to mark available memory above this point as reserved (core already does alignment) (Gene Cumm).
- MEMDISK: Additional disk probe checks and debug output (Shao Miller, Gene Cumm).
- gpxe: add gpxelinuxk.0, based off of undionly.kpxe + new script (Gene Cumm).
- isohybrid: install the isohdpfx*.bin/isohdppx*.bin files to make isohybrid images in one step with GNU xorriso.
- PXELINUX: disable a hack that would make localboot work on some machines, but break just about as many. Some machines which worked with "localboot 0" in previous versions may need "localboot -1" in this one. If you have a machine which requires "localboot -1", a copy of the dmidecode or sysdump output would be appreciated.
- Include a set of diagnostics by Gene Cumm.
- Fixes for gcc 4.6 and binutils 2.21.51.
- chain.c32: Allow "uuid" as a synonym to "guid".
- Handle directory names starting with .. for vfat and iso9660.
- New MENU HIDDENKEY command to provide a one-keystroke way to activate a boot option from a hidden menu intro screen.
Changes in 4.03
- Don't hang if no configuration file is found.
- Better support for booting from MBRs which don't pass handover information.
- EXTLINUX: Try to be smarter about finding the partition offset.
- chain.c32: support chainloading Dell Real Mode Kernel (Gene Cumm).
- chain.c32: fix booting in CHS mode.
- rosh.c32 updated (Gene Cumm).
- Fix the
-soption to the syslinux/extlinux installer (Arwin Vosselman).
- isohybrid: fix padding of large images (PJ Pandit).
Changes in 4.02
- SYSLINUX: correctly handle the case where the
-doption is specified with a non-absolute path, i.e.
syslinux -d syslinuxinstead of
syslinux -d /syslinux.
- ISOLINUX: recognize the directory names /boot/syslinux and /syslinux, and the filename syslinux.cfg in addition to the isolinux-specific names. Thus, syslinux.cfg is now a generic name, whereas isolinux.cfg or extlinux.conf is specific to different derivatives.
- chain.c32: support setting alternate config filename for stage2 of GRUB Legacy (Gert Hulselmans).
- whichsys.c32: execute a specific command, based on the Syslinux bootloader variant (Gert Hulselmans).
- lua.c32: a lot of new bindings added to the "syslinux" namespace: VESA, PCI, DMI, kernel loading (Marcel Ritter).
- btrfs: print a comprehensive error message if compressed or encrypted files are encountered (neither is currently supported.)
- SYSLINUX: mtools installer: honor
TMPDIR, error out on disk full.
- Handle fallbacks from EDD to CHS, to deal with systems which announce EDD support but don't actually have it.
- SYSLINUX: the mtools, DOS and win32 installers now use the new command line options.
- PXELINUX: fix the use of IP addresses in TFTP
- SYSLINUX: experimental Win64 installer (syslinux64.exe).
Changes in 4.01
- ISOLINUX: fix initialization on systems which don't zero low memory.
- SYSLINUX/EXTLINUX: fix handing of disk read retries in EDD mode.
- ISOLINUX: change the initialization sequence to avoid problems with certain (old) BIOSes. Special thanks to Helmut Hullen for invaluable debugging support.
- ifplop.c32: new module which detects if the PLoP Boot Manager already has booted a CDROM or USB drive (Gert Hulselmans).
- Correct a severe memory overwrite bug, triggered primarily when selecting a very long command line in the menu system.
- lua.c32: Lua script interpreter, currently experimental.
- PXELINUX: new option IPAPPEND 4 to append the system UUID to the kernel command line.
- PXELINUX: display BOOTIF and SYSUUID at startup time, and when Ctrl-N is pressed on the command line.
Changes in 4.00
- Major code base changes; all filesystem rewritten in C. This work was done primarily by Liu Aleaxander (Yuanhan Liu).
- EXTLINUX: btrfs and ext4 support. btrfs support was done by Alek Du of Intel.
- EXTLINUX is no longer a separate derivative; extlinux and syslinux both install the same loader (ldlinux.sys); for the Linux-based installers the extlinux binary is used for a mounted filesystem; the syslinux binary for an unmounted filesystem.
- When loading a new configuration file with the
CONFIGcommand, one can now also specify a new current directory with an
- Full ADV support for Syslinux, so boot-once and
- Full support of GPT-partitioned disks, including disks and/or parititions larger than 2 TiB (if supported by BIOS.)
- The GPT handover protocol adjusted to the current T13 committee draft; see doc/gpt.txt.
- HDT: code cleanup, small bugfixes
- The "linux" syslinux installer (syslinux-nomtools) now has a command-line syntax closer to the extlinux installer. The mtools, dos and win32 installers will get this new syntax eventually, but it is not implemented yet.
- chain.c32: support booting GPT partitions by index, GUID, label.
- chain.c32: support booting the Syslinux partition with "fs".
- chain.c32: implement gpt.txt hand-over protocol.
- chain.c32: support for chainloading Grub stage 2.
- PXELINUX: TFTP URL syntax (
tftp://) supported even when not running gPXE/gpxelinux.
- New ls.c32 module to display the contents of the disk from the command line, and pwd.c32 to display the current directory.
- rosh.c32 (read only shell) updated and hopefully usable.
- PXELINUX: Support "localboot -1", just like the other derivatives.
- gfxboot.com removed in favor of gfxboot.c32.
- New MENU HELP statement to display fullscreen help text as a result of a menu selection.
- memdiskfind utility that can be used with the phram driver in the Linux kernel to mount a memdisk.
- ifcpu.c32: Adding usage when no parameters are given, adding PAE support.
- ifcpu.c32, ifcpu64.c32: handle more than one argument per target.
- isohybrid: C version which does not require Perl.
- New command
MENU IMMEDIATEto permit hotkeys to activate immediately without needing Enter.
- mdiskchk.com supports a
-n) option to suppress the classic all-drive-probing heuristic. Useful on BIOSes who crash/hang when certain drive numbers are probed.
- ElTorito.Sys DOS driver now scans drive numbers upwards instead of downwards, in order to avoid a fairly common bug on some BIOSes where probing drive 0xFF causes a failure.