Syslinux 4 Changelog
From Syslinux Wiki
Revision as of 22:31, 28 June 2010 by Hpa
Changes in 4.00
- Major code base changes; all filesystem rewritten in C. This work was done primarily by Liu Aleaxander (Yuanhan Liu).
- EXTLINUX: btrfs and ext4 support. btrfs support was done by Alek Du of Intel.
- EXTLINUX is no longer a separate derivative; extlinux and syslinux both install the same loader (ldlinux.sys); for the Linux-based installers the extlinux binary is used for a mounted filesystem; the syslinux binary for an unmounted filesystem.
- When loading a new configuration file with the
CONFIGcommand, one can now also specify a new current directory with an
- Full ADV support for Syslinux, so boot-once and
- Full support of GPT-partitioned disks, including disks and/or parititions larger than 2 TiB (if supported by BIOS.)
- The GPT handover protocol adjusted to the current T13 committee draft; see doc/gpt.txt.
- HDT: code cleanup, small bugfixes
- The "linux" syslinux installer (syslinux-nomtools) now has a command-line syntax closer to the extlinux installer. The mtools, dos and win32 installers will get this new syntax eventually, but it is not implemented yet.
- chain.c32: support booting GPT partitions by index, GUID, label.
- chain.c32: support booting the Syslinux partition with "fs".
- chain.c32: implement gpt.txt hand-over protocol.
- chain.c32: support for chainloading Grub stage 2.
- PXELINUX: TFTP URL syntax (
tftp://) supported even when not running gPXE/gpxelinux.
- New ls.c32 module to display the contents of the disk from the command line, and pwd.c32 to display the current directory.
- rosh.c32 (read only shell) updated and hopefully usable.
- PXELINUX: Support "localboot -1", just like the other derivatives.
- gfxboot.com removed in favor of gfxboot.c32.
- New MENU HELP statement to display fullscreen help text as a result of a menu selection.
- memdiskfind utility that can be used with the phram driver in the Linux kernel to mount a memdisk.
- ifcpu.c32: Adding usage when no parameters are given, adding PAE support.
- ifcpu.c32, ifcpu64.c32: handle more than one argument per target.
- isohybrid: C version which does not require Perl.
- New command
MENU IMMEDIATEto permit hotkeys to activate immediately without needing Enter.
- mdiskchk.com supports a
-n) option to suppress the classic all-drive-probing heuristic. Useful on BIOSes who crash/hang when certain drive numbers are probed.
- ElTorito.Sys DOS driver now scans drive numbers upwards instead of downwards, in order to avoid a fairly common bug on some BIOSes where probing drive 0xFF causes a failure.