[syslinux] Newbie problems with isolinux

Erich Titl erich.titl at think.ch
Mon Apr 1 15:02:47 PST 2002

Hello everybody

I would like to build a bootable CD from my running SuSE 7.3 Kernel 2.4.10.
The goal is to have a prebuilt system on CD which would install everything
from a compressed image on the same CD, some kind of an emergency or
initial setup CD.

So I startet with an directory called root_tree, placed the isolinux
directory and the binaries there. I copied the initrd from the /boot
directory and the Linux kernel image from /boot, rdev'ed the Linux image to
load from /dev/scd0 and hoped I could get at least at a shell prompt that way.

Unfortunately I get a kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root file system
on 0b:00 which seems to indicate that /dev/scd0 cannot be mounted.
The ide-scsi module gets loaded but kmod reports that /sbin/modprobe for
block-major-11 cannot be executed errno=2. This is not surprising, because
modprobe is dynamically linked and is not present yet.

isolinux.conf looks contains:

default promise
label promise
   kernel linux
   append root=/dev/scd0 initrd=initrd rw ramdisk_size=65536 init=linuxrc
ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 ide1=0x170,0x376,15 ide2=
0 ide3=0 ide4=0 ide5=0 ide6=0 ide7=0 ide8=0 ide9=0
display message
prompt 1
timeout 80

Thanks for pointers

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:erich.titl at think.ch
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024  8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16