[syslinux] Newbie problems with isolinux

Martijn Bakker martijn-syslinux at insecure.nl
Mon Apr 1 15:31:17 PST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:02:47AM +0200, Erich Titl wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I would like to build a bootable CD from my running SuSE 7.3 Kernel 2.4.10.
> The goal is to have a prebuilt system on CD which would install everything
> from a compressed image on the same CD, some kind of an emergency or
> initial setup CD.
>
> So I startet with an directory called root_tree, placed the isolinux
> directory and the binaries there. I copied the initrd from the /boot
> directory and the Linux kernel image from /boot, rdev'ed the Linux image to
> load from /dev/scd0 and hoped I could get at least at a shell prompt that
> way.

sounds good.

> Unfortunately I get a kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root file system
> on 0b:00 which seems to indicate that /dev/scd0 cannot be mounted.
> The ide-scsi module gets loaded but kmod reports that /sbin/modprobe for
> block-major-11 cannot be executed errno=2. This is not surprising, because
> modprobe is dynamically linked and is not present yet.

do you have the IDE-SCSI stuff, or perhaps even the SCSI as a module?
(Just running a checklist here :) I read some stuff in the menuconfig help:

[..]
You must them provide the kernel command line "hdx=scsi" [..] for devices
if you want the native EIDE sub-drivers to skip over the native support,
so that the SCSI emulation can be used instead.
[..]
If both this SCSI emulation and native ATAPI support are compiled into the
kernel, the native support will be used.

Maybe that will help.

> Thanks for pointers

Hope This Helps, Have A Nice Day.

grtz, Tijn

--
 1:22AM  up 33 days, 13:38, 9 users, load averages: 0.07, 0.10, 0.08