[syslinux] Newbie problems with isolinux

Erich Titl erich.titl at think.ch
Tue Apr 2 00:18:23 PST 2002

Hello again and thanks Martijn for the reply

At 01:31 02.04.2002 +0200, you wrote:

> > So I startet with an directory called root_tree, placed the isolinux
> > directory and the binaries there. I copied the initrd from the /boot
> > directory and the Linux kernel image from /boot, rdev'ed the Linux
> image to
> > load from /dev/scd0 and hoped I could get at least at a shell prompt that
> > way.
>
>sounds good.

>do you have the IDE-SCSI stuff, or perhaps even the SCSI as a module?
>(Just running a checklist here :) I read some stuff in the menuconfig help:
>
>[..]
>You must them provide the kernel command line "hdx=scsi" [..] for devices
>if you want the native EIDE sub-drivers to skip over the native support,
>so that the SCSI emulation can be used instead.
>[..]
>If both this SCSI emulation and native ATAPI support are compiled into the
>kernel, the native support will be used.

I have IDE-SCSI as a module, SCSI CD compiled into the kernel and native
ATAPI compiled in. The CD is a ATAPI CD-RW which apparently needs the
IDE-SCSI support. The kernel parameters are copied from the lilo
configuration. ISO fs support is compiled into the kernel. This kernel is
used to build the actual CD, so support for this device is there when I
boot from the hard disk. And the kernel is exactly the same with the
exception of being rdeved to /dev/scd0.

Typically the /dev/scd0 is mounted at /cdrom.

To get over the complaint for modprobe I copied insmod to /sbin/modprobe on
initrd, had to install modules.dep for modprobe to be happy but still get
the error for block-major-11.

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:erich.titl at think.ch
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024  8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16