[syslinux] ISOLINUX -- how many BIOSs don't support this?

Jim Wright jwright at penguincomputing.com
Sun Apr 7 04:36:09 PDT 2002

On 7 Apr 2002, Philip Hands wrote:
> From reading the description of MEMDISK, you mention that there are
> BIOSs that don't support ISOLINUX, and it would be really helpful if you
> could tell us what the seriousness of the problem is, because we are
> supposed to be releasing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 in about 3 weeks, so
> testing time is short.

I'm sure I have experience with fewer motherboards and bioses than
all those that HPA has gotten bug reports for, but my experience is
the opposite.  We have had one system which did not work with El Torito
floppy emulation mode (aka syslinux) but it did work with El Torito no
emulation mode (aka isolinux).  Other than that, all systems we build
have worked with either syslinux or isolinux.  And so far, I have not
found a system which supported PXE which did not work with memdisk.

I'd like to offer my congratulations once again to HPA for a great
set of tools.  In my opinion, I would suggest that you use isolinux
for your upcoming cdroms.

Jim