[syslinux] pxelinux: HW Address instead of ip

Sven Geggus sven at geggus.net
Thu Apr 11 09:51:55 PDT 2002

Hi there,

for our setup it would be nice to have pxelinux trying to load files like
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/00:80:C8:6D:EE:7F instead of something like
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/0A010708

The reason is, that with this setup I would be able to boot a machine in
different networks be means of dhcp and dynamic DNS updates.

I saw, in pxelinux.doc, that this is no Problem using ISC dhcp and doing
this on the server side in conjunction with the special syslinux dhcp
options.

Unfortunately our server DHCP Server runs on Win2k (I would rather have it
running on any Unix myself, but this is not an Option) so it won't work this
way.

I'm very bad in X86 assembly language. Where would I need to change the code
of pxelinux to achieve this?

Sven

--
"Das ist halt der Unterschied: Unix ist ein Betriebssystem mit Tradition,
 die anderen sind einfach von sich aus unlogisch."