[syslinux] isolinux puzzle

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Apr 11 10:32:18 PDT 2002

Peter Stein wrote:

> And it does work on all other CDROM drives except the one attached to
> the Promise controller. I'm really baffled. Why is the WIN2K CD
> recognized as bootable, but not the Linux CD created with ISOLINUX?

Probably because it's the only one they ever tried, and their BIOS is so
broken that it's the only thing they'll ever boot.

ISOLINUX actually spends a lot of effort at being similar to the Win2K
boot, just because too many BIOSes just don't give a shit about anything
else.  Unfortunately, seems yours is still not happy.

> I followed your web page ISOLINUX instructions to the letter and as I
> mentioned above the CD does boot on other CDROM drives. I'm willing to
> roll up my sleeves and do some research, but I'm not sure how to
> proceed. I suspect you may have an idea of what the problem area could
> be or at least how to go about zeroing in on a solution in the most
> efficient way. I am a veteran developer and have previously created
> bootable Linux CDs using syslinux, but don't have the expertise to size
> up this problem. Any pointers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect the BIOS is buggy as hell and can only boot something that
looks more-or-less exactly like the Win2K CD.  What exactly it is that
trips it up is nearly impossible to tell without having both CDs and
access to the system.