[syslinux] pxelinux: HW Address instead of ip

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri Apr 12 01:50:09 PDT 2002

Hi,

Sven Geggus <sven at geggus.net> schrieb am 11.04.02:
> for our setup it would be nice to have pxelinux trying to load files like
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/00:80:C8:6D:EE:7F instead of something like
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/0A010708
>
> The reason is, that with this setup I would be able to boot a machine in
> different networks be means of dhcp and dynamic DNS updates.
>
> I saw, in pxelinux.doc, that this is no Problem using ISC dhcp and doing
> this on the server side in conjunction with the special syslinux dhcp
> options.
>
> Unfortunately our server DHCP Server runs on Win2k (I would rather have it
> running on any Unix myself, but this is not an Option) so it won't work this
> way.
>
> I'm very bad in X86 assembly language. Where would I need to change the code
> of pxelinux to achieve this?

I don't think that you need to change anything. I did the thing with
the special dhcp options with an AIX dhcp server, and I think that
you can also give special DHCP options to the W2K-dhcp server.
Try giving these options to the server, and do a tcpdump to know
if it gives these to the client.

BTW, this would give one DHCP entry for every client, but you already
knew that.

Regards,

Josef