[syslinux] pxelinux: HW Address instead of ip

Robert Stooß rstooss at asdis.de
Tue Apr 16 01:16:39 PDT 2002

Hello *,
exactly for this purpose we has made some minor changes in the PXELINUX
code.
I think also that the MAC address should be the determining client
property. Additional it is possible with this modification to put
further config files in the client directory.
The structur would look like this:

/tftpboot/clients/00-80-C8-6D-EE-7F/pxelinux.cfg

Before the file pxelinux.cfg is downloaded, another small file is
downloaded with only one number in it. This file decides whether the
computer is booting by network or by the fixed disk.
This file is called client.dat:

/tftpboot/clients/00-80-C8-6D-EE-7F/client.dat

Is the number smaller than 3 or exact 3, the computer is booting by the
network. The File pxelinux.cfg is downloaded and is executed. With a
number more largely than 3, the computer is booting by hard disk.

The file pxelinux.cfg would be the same like 0A010708...

I like PXELINUX very much and I would be pleased if this into the code
would flow.
All further functionality was preserved and should to be functioned as used.

/robert

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Robert Stooß      -        phone: +49-30-20631-621
ASDIS Software AG    Neue Grünstraße 25   D-10179 Berlin Germany
http://www.asdis.de/ ---------------- mailto:RStooss at asdis.de ---