[syslinux] bug in syslinux-1.71 w. large Linux-kernel

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Apr 19 14:39:21 PDT 2002

> first of all: syslinux is really a good bootloader and since there is
> isolinux making boot-cds is fun -- thanks for the great work.
>
> I had some problems with syslinux-1.71 loading l bigger 2.4.18-kernel.
> The error was something like "Boot failed: press any key ..." that
> brought my back to the boot-prompt of syslinux.
> A check with syslinux-1.67 showed no problems.
>
> Sizes of the kernels:
> 	$ du -k 2418*
> 	592     2418.01
> 	612     2418.02
>
> 2418.01 works fine with 1.71 but 2418.02 does not. Both work with 1.67.

Are they zImage or bzImage?  What system are you using (the more details
the better)?  Can you please send a dump of the E820 memory map (should be
displayed by the kernel on boot.)  Are you using syslinux, pxelinux or
isolinux (since you mentioned it, I thought I'd like to make sure)?  Are
you booting from a floppy or hard disk?  What does your configuration file
look like?