[syslinux] NFS Kernel Panic (can't find init)

Holly and Pat holly at rinezone.com
Fri Apr 26 22:22:27 PDT 2002

Hello,
I appreciate the help. I am able to mount the nfs root share to a directory
and then chroot to it and pull up a shell.  Everything seems fully
functional from there and I can run all the programs I checked.

Wasn't sure how to manually test the init command.  When I type /sbin/int it
prints the proper format for an init command and when I type /sbin/init S, I
just get a carriage return.

Is there a limit to how many entries or characters I can put in a APPEND
statement in CFG file?

Am I correct in assuming that the kernel knows so search for the init
program without my help?

Any suggestions would be helpful.  I was able to find a problem with my nfs
root directory and correct it, but am still basically stuck where I was
before (although slightly wiser).

Thanks, Pat

> > Hey Folks,
>
> hey,
>
> > I get the kernel panic, with the "no init found" message. I have
> > tried various permutations of the init= parameter (/bin/init,
> > /bin/sh, etc..), the client machine can't seem to see any of the
> > files on the server. I get a message on both the server side
> > (mountd confirms mount request for the proper directory) and the
> > client shows a kernel message that the VFS nfs root is mounted. I
> > use DHCP to launch the PXE stuff. The root filesystem is exported
> > with (rw,no_root_squash). The root filesystems was created by doing
> > a minimal Slackware install to the subdirectory on the server.
>
> what you can try is to chroot into the filesystem on the NFS server, see
> if bash wants to start there. It could be that there are libs missing.
Init