[syslinux] booting CD using memdisk

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Apr 29 11:45:17 PDT 2002

James S. Martin wrote:
> I'm wondering if it is possible to use memdisk to boot a CD image over
> the network (using pxelinux) as it is using a floppy or hd image. Anyone
> tried this?

No, it is not.  A CD uses a very different boot protocol, and would
require MEMDISK to simulate an El Torito BIOS, which it doesn't; it
simulates a floppy/hard disk BIOS.  It would be possible to write an El
Torito BIOS for the CD, but it probably would still be somewhat
pointless, since most OSes expect to be able to talk directly to a SCSI
or ATAPI controller to talk to the CD.