[syslinux] Re: Isolinux doesn't boot

Andy Polyakov appro at fy.chalmers.se
Tue Aug 13 13:23:07 PDT 2002

> > i've been trying around for a month or so to get isolinux on my toshiba
> > satellite 4010cdt running. It doesn't really work.
> >
> > The debug version says the following:
> >
> > ISOLINUX 1.75 2002-06-14 ...
> > isolinux: Startinug up, DL = 82
> > isolinux: Loaded spec packed OK, drive = 82
> >
> > Is there a workaround?

Attached. The code which is %if 0-ed out is redundant. The result
returned by int 13h/ah=48h is printed on the screen [single field of the
returned structure], but is never used for anything else and is
basically ignored anyway [at least for the time being?]...

> Sounds like a BIOS bug,

It is. Toshibas just hang in int 13h/ah=48h. And why shouldn't they [or
anybody]? The bootable CD is mastered with -no-emul-boot, so that
result, "drive parameters," doesn't really have to be defined.

> See if you can get a BIOS update from Toshiba.

:-)

Cheers. Andy.

*** isolinux.asm.orig   Sat Jun 15 06:46:18 2002
--- isolinux.asm        Tue Aug 13 11:24:56 2002
***************
*** 297,302 ****
--- 297,303 ----
  %endif

  found_drive:
+ %if 0 ; Toshiba laptops hang in int 13h/ah=48h
                ; Get drive information
                mov ah,48h
                mov dl,[DriveNo]
***************
*** 324,329 ****
--- 325,331 ----
                call writehex4
                call crlf
  %endif
+ %endif

  load_image:
                ; Some BIOSes apparently have limitations on the size
***************
*** 726,731 ****
--- 728,737 ----
  %error "Sector 0 overflow"