[syslinux] feedback/help request

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Aug 20 10:44:42 PDT 2002

Hi,

first of all: This is no problem for syslinux, it's a kernel issue. But maybe
we'll sort it out anyway.

Stephen Brown <sbrown7 at umbc.edu> schrieb am 20.08.02 18:01:19:
> 	What I am requesting, I guess, is guidance in continuing
> troubleshooting -- what is the best way to determine whether the
> parameters I try to pass to the kernel actually get there, and are
> ignored, or are dropped along the way?

Look at the kernel's output in the first few lines. It should say
Kernel command line: ....
and tells you what it really got. At least the 2.4 series does this.

>Are there, say, line length
> limits on the "append" clauses in syslinux.cfg, or the resulting kernel
> command line?

Yes, there is, it's AFAIK 255 characters. I use quite long parameters regularly,
so 160+ characters work without problem.

>Or, maybe, am I missing quoting requirements to escape
> the "=", or blowing the parameter separators (I tried both spaces and
> commas, and one long quoted string)?

> P.S.: The particular parameters that I have tried passing in have been
> just about all permutations of pci=noprobe, idex=noprobe, hdx=noprobe,
> and hdx=none (with the proper replacements of "x", of course).

That should have done it, according to ide.txt. Try ide2=noprobe ide3=noprobe,
maybe you confused the kernel by giving too much hdx and idex together.

BTW: Are you sure it crashes while initializing the IDE controllers, or could
it be that it crashes while initializing the next device, but didn't tell you that
it was already there?

Regards,

Josef