[syslinux] feedback/help request

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Aug 20 19:34:03 PDT 2002

Stephen Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>

>>Near the beginning of the kernel boot messages it should print the
>>kernel command line, as it sees it.
>
> Any ideas how to stop the scrolling while the kernel is having it's way
> with the hardware?  Ctrl-S/Q (tried both, can never remember which
> starts/stops) had no effect (at least not with my reflexes), and
> ScrollLock caused a kernel NULL pointer dereference.  Once the system
> locks (a matter of less than a second, it seems) the canonical
> Shift-PageUp has no effect, Alt-Fn won't give other terminals (probably
> still in single-user mode anyway) so no way to look at the log file
> being written to RAMdisk....

Two suggestions:

a) If you can, use a serial console.  It is by far the best.
b) You might be able to use options like video= to set a vesafb console
that will fit most information.
c) Even if you don't have a serial console, you can set a secondary
serial console with extremely low baudrate, like 300 or 1200 baud.  If
so, it will slow down console output to the rate that you might be able
to read it.