[syslinux] syslinux unable to find vmlinuz

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Aug 29 17:06:21 PDT 2002

Hi:

Two scripts (mkbd.fails and mkbd.works) are attached to this message. The only
difference between them is in how syslinux.cfg (on a RedHat boot image) is
replaced.

mkbd.fails: syslinux.cfg is replaced via "mv -f". vmlinuz can't be found.

mkbd.works: syslinux.cfg is replaced via "cp". vmlinuz is found.

The only difference I can see between these two methods is that "mv -f" has the
potential to change the layout of the FAT whereas "cp" ensures that the layout
of the FAT doesn't change. This, in turn, implies that there's a defficiency in
how syslinux searches the FAT for vmlinuz.

N.B.: This problem is manifested when applying mkbd to the RH7.3 boot.img but
not when applying it to the RH7.2 boot.img.

http://familyradio.com