[syslinux] Memdisk and Grub

Christian Kalkhoff christian at kalkhoff.net
Sat Dec 7 00:26:18 PST 2002

Dear Egan,

i used latest CVS version. In this version it is not a problem to run
grub. But the started Linux operating system (Redhat 7.2 boot disk)
freezes system. The problem with .92 also appeared during my testing.

There is no problem using diskemu (part of bootscriptor beta) which
doesn't read disk to memory. Instead it is reading disk bytewise. The
reason I wanted to use memdisk was the lack of proper 2.88 floppy image
emulation in conjunction with grub.

In the meanwhile i made initrd of redhat boot disk smaller (deleted some
kernel modules) and now everything fit on a 1.44 disk image which i can
use with diskemu.

I guess the problem with memdisk is either the kernel AND the initrd. I
can boot a DOS boot disk (not tested with 386 extension now) from grub,
but since linux only uses extended mem i think there is kind of
collision with the disk remaining in RAM.

Ok. That's all for now. Have a nice day and happy hacking. ;)

Christian