[syslinux] Memdisk and Grub

Christian Kalkhoff christian at kalkhoff.net
Mon Dec 9 21:44:39 PST 2002

Hello Peter, hi list,

Am Die, 2002-12-10 um 02.25 schrieb H. Peter Anvin:

> Given GRUBs history of, quite frankly, unbelievably broken memory
> management, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to find this.
I fully agree with you. I was now able to shrink the initrd from redhat
boot disks. I deleted some kernel modules never used on CoLocation
servers and now everything fints onto 1.44 which can be booted with
diskemu.

Now the question is, is it a bug or a feature. I guess my C/Assembler
knowledge is too small for figuring out things like memory management.
But I am going to add some kind of condition support to menu.lst/grub to
check wether there are bootable disks etc. So in future i can boot grub
from an el torito disk image on cdrom.

Christian
--
Systemhaus Kalkhoff		:	Fon: +49-3443-820656
Heinrich-Schütz-Str. 11		:	Fax: +49-3443-820676