[syslinux] Memdisk and Grub

Christian Kalkhoff christian at kalkhoff.net
Tue Dec 10 20:10:52 PST 2002

Am Die, 2002-12-10 um 21.58 schrieb H. Peter Anvin:
> Christian Kalkhoff wrote:
> > Hello Peter, hi list,
> >
> > Am Die, 2002-12-10 um 02.25 schrieb H. Peter Anvin:
> >
> >>Given GRUBs history of, quite frankly, unbelievably broken memory
> >>management, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to find this.
> >
> > I fully agree with you. I was now able to shrink the initrd from redhat
> > boot disks. I deleted some kernel modules never used on CoLocation
> > servers and now everything fints onto 1.44 which can be booted with
> > diskemu.
> >
> > Now the question is, is it a bug or a feature. I guess my C/Assembler
> > knowledge is too small for figuring out things like memory management.
> > But I am going to add some kind of condition support to menu.lst/grub to
> > check wether there are bootable disks etc. So in future i can boot grub
> > from an el torito disk image on cdrom.
> >

> Why bother with diskemu/memdisk anyway... why not just do a native
> ISOLINUX boot?
I need the bootable checking facility of bootscriptor 1.2. It checks
wether 0x80 has boot signature and presents either a grub bootdisk
chainloading 0x80 and offer to install new system or run rescue system.
Chainloading is automatically done after 10 seconds in this case.

The other disk contains the same except the boot lokal disk and therefor
it has no default boot. This CDROM is used in a Colocation server
environment and is put to a serial line. Serial stuff is done by GRUB.

Christian

--
Systemhaus Kalkhoff		:	Fon: +49-3443-820656
Heinrich-Schütz-Str. 11		:	Fax: +49-3443-820676