[syslinux] pxelinux hang: problem freeing memory?

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Feb 4 02:35:23 PST 2002

Hi,

"Greg Notch" <notch at av.com> schrieb am 04.02.02:
> trying to set up a IBM 4500R with pxelinux 1.67 with an Intel eepro(ish)
> NIC. Got DHCP (ISC 2.0) and atftpd working. pxelinux downloads the boot.msg,
> kernel and initrd, but when it tries to load the kernel we get:
>
> boot:
>  ready.
> Failed to free base memory, sorry...
> [system hangs]

The 'Failed to free base memory'-Message is quite usual. There's
some PXE function to free the used memory, but on almost all
boards this doesn't work. After this control is handed over to
the just loaded kernel image, so the next thing that usually
follows here is the first message from the kernel: 'uncompressing ...'.

Which kernel version do you use? Could you try to get some recent 2.4
kernel? Does it work (i.e. does the kernel boot - it won't work without the initrd I suspect ...) without the initrd? Where do these
kernel and initrd images come from? Which kernel version is this?