[syslinux] nilo -> tftp-hpa interaction

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Mon Feb 4 07:33:06 PST 2002

I downloaded nilo and oskit from www.nilo.org.
Added pcnet32.c linux-2.0.39 driver to oskit.
Compiled nilo with pcnet32 and produced boot floppy image.
Use it inside vmware vm. My aim is to be able to test pxelinux using
vmware+nilo and not a real machine.

Floppy starts, detects nic, receives ip from dhcp server, requests boot
image to tftpd-hpa, then crashes when talking to tftp. Is  "Unknown TFTP
packet type 0x53ff" a kind of packet I can block using tftp-hpa -r option,
or it it nilo that is broken and there's nothing to do?

Unfortunately I cannot test the nilo boot disk on a real pc, because the
ones I have carry recent pci nic's that requires becker latest drivers
(oskit is 2.0.x based); I tried patching oskit with them, but when the
floppy boots it stops very early when detecting the nics (loops forever); I
think this has to do with the new becker pci-scan.o stuff that oskit does
not know and I somehow forced it to "know".

Did anyone used nilo succesfully with tftp-hpa?

Thanks

====== nilo trace
<= dump.c:496 dump_arp_table() return
<= pxe_udp.c:182 pxenv_udp_read() return
=> tftp.c: tftp_decode_packet() enter
=> dump.c: dump_tftp_packet() enter
    00:02:57: ERROR: tftp structure is NULL
  02:40:09: Unknown TFTP packet type 0x53ff
<= tftp.c:243 tftp_decode_packet() return
    12:22:24: Packet numbers too far out of sync.
<= pxe_tftp.c:172 pxenv_tftp_read() return
Couldn't read from the TFTP connection.

Backtrace: fp=357df0
 0031b7af 00306bbf 0030514f 00300e56 00327282
_exit(1) called; rebooting...

giulioo at pobox.com