[syslinux] Etherboot & pxelinux (was: thank you)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Feb 8 10:12:07 PST 2002

Josef Siemes wrote:

> We made some measurements about different blksizes at different bandwidth,
> and it turned out that you gain few with LAN lines, but the lower the bandwith the more you gain with higher blksize. So higher blksize is only needed if you have some WAN line with low bandwidth.

I suspect you actually mean "high latency" rather than "low bandwidth"
since the main benefit is to reduce ping-pong.  This actually begs the
question if a pretransmit option (send a packet before it gets the
preceeding ACK) on the server would improve performance -- it would help
  latency somewhat, but may increase retransmits.

Over high-latency links TFTP basically blows.  I was thinking about
doing a "TFTP tcp option" (basically, if the client knows how to open a
TCP socket, it could request the tcp option and get back a port number
instead of a full TFTP connection.)  However, it's unclear to me how
well this would work with PXE -- it's clear that PXE doesn't contain a
TCP stack; what isn't clear is if it is possible to use the IP layer in
PXE without in effect reimplementing it; it doesn't have a direct API,
but there are some hints that it might be accessible via the UNDI API...

*Sigh*