[syslinux] isolinux - memdisk - thanks!

Lagerweij B b.lagerweij at cts-bv.nl
Wed Feb 27 02:55:43 PST 2002

Hi Peter,

You did a great job on the isolinux and memdisk tools..

I can know, I've also written a CD-Rom disk emulator, only it's slow (read
from the CD) uses 22KB conventional memory (mainly cache) and the emulated
floppy image cannot be written to. http://www.nu2.nu/diskemu/

You're memdisk is fast, small conventional memory footprint and the emulated
drive is writeable, very, very, cool!!!

I (together with someone else) have written a real-mode Dos CD-Rom driver
"eltorito.sys" (only 4KB) that supports a bootable CD-Rom drive in "no
emulation" mode, using INT13h/ah=42 read calls to get the block from the CD
device... Very handy for Dos based boot disks that need to have hardware
independent CD-Rom support...

At the moment it has some small bugs, but when it is stable maybe you can
mention it in your memdisk documentation...

One small question, can isolinux also chainload NT CD-Rom bootstrap loaders?
They are 2KB in size and have a 0x55AA signature at the end...

I've tried:
label bcnt4
    kernel bcnt4.bs

But isolinux says: