[syslinux] Max tftp boot size?

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Fri Jan 11 18:41:43 PST 2002

Hi;
 In http://syslinux.zytor.com/history.php, you mention:

PXELINUX, ISOLINUX: Correctly handle files larger than 65535
          blocks (32 MB for PXELINUX, 128 MB for ISOLINUX.)

However, I am having issues with trying to make any compressed initrd.gz
>32 meg work with pxelinux.  I am using "atftpd" as the server, with
--no-blksize specified to disable the blksize command.  The symptons are
anything ranging from a failure to uncompress the ram drive to file system
consistency failures on the e2fs formated ramdrive.

We're looking at the thought of net booting all of our servers and running
the OS completely off the ram disk :-)  However, to do that, for what we
want, we need to bloat that initrd.gz to about 45 meg, if we're gonna go
this route.

Thanks for any pointers...

 Jason Fesler  <jfesler at gigo.com>  http://gigo.com/resume.html
 "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety