[syslinux] Kernel boot problem using PXELinux boot

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jan 16 10:23:38 PST 2002

陳應南 wrote:

> I used pxelinux.0 to boot my kernel, then the kernel began to boot.
> However, it cannot mount nfs root. I checked the nfs root
> is exported OK!
>
> Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 140.111.161.1
> RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> Protmap: RPC call returned error 101
> Root-NFS: Unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default
> Lookingup port of RPC 100005/1 on 140.111.161.1
> RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> Protmap: RPC call returned error 101
> Root-NFS: Unable to get mountd port number from server, using default
> RPC sendmsg returned error 101
> Mount: RPC call returned error 101
> Root-NFS: Server returned error ¡V101 while mounting /export/home/diskless
> VFS: Unbale to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
> (Warnig, this kernel has no ramdisk support)
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

Error 101 is ENOTUNREACH, which implies you don't have the proper
netmask or gateway setup; so it's probably a DHCP configuration problem.

Note to everyone: I recommend using the kernel's own DHCP service, and
*NOT* using IPAPPEND in most cases.  The IPAPPEND option is supported
because of some DHCP configurations where that would obtain two
different IP addresses.