[syslinux] memdisk hd images

H. Peter Anvin hpa at transmeta.com
Tue Jan 22 10:53:22 PST 2002

Egan Ford wrote:

> Thanks, I figured as much and used DOSEMU to create the image, however I
> didn't strip off the  first 128 bytes.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  When I tried to boot my 16MB DOSEMU created HD image, memdisk did not
> recognize the S/H/C data, was this because of the 128 bytes?  (I updated
> mkfatimage16 to output the S/H/C to compensate, then added to my conf file).

Yes, that would be because the 128 bytes; strip them off and it should work.

> 2.  Do you think you might support compressed HD images?  gzip?

Not likely any time soon.

> 3.  How would I create a "large floppy"?  I tried 2.88 with no success (I
> could not find a IBM DOS 2.88 boot sector and I do not have a 2.88 drive).

You can use the boot code from any other bootsector; mkdosfs will create
the superblock properly.  (MS-DOS confusingly puts the superblock in the
boot sector; you have to keep the boot sector code and the superblock
information separate...)