[syslinux] syslinux and PQMAGIC incompatibility

Mircea Popescu nufarul.alb at go.ro
Tue Jan 29 09:00:11 PST 2002

 I have this problem:
 I've partitioned my hard drive with PQMagic 7 in the following way:
hda1 - fat32
hda2 - ext2
hda3 - fat16
hda4 - extended
       hda5 - Linux Swap
       hda6 - fat32
       hda7 - ext2
       hda8 - fat32

I've put syslinux on hda3, but it fails to boot.

I've partitioned my second hard drive also with PQMAGIC 7 in two primary
fat16 partitions and syslinux was not working either.

BUT using Ranish Partition Manager and saving it's standard IPL into the MBR
of my secondary hard drive, syslinux worked just fine.

MY QUESTION IS:
  WHAT CAN I DO FOR MY FIRST HARD DRIVE, BECAUSE PARTITION MANAGER FROM
RANISH FAILS TO READ CORRECTLY THE PARTITION TABLE MADE BY PQMAGIC 7 ON MY
FIRST HARD.

Thanks!

P.S. The same problem was with LILO but I fixed it using the "-P fix "
option.