[syslinux] Boots from prompt but not from syslinux.cfg

CheeChun Kok cheech at pixelmetrix.com
Wed Jan 30 01:03:22 PST 2002

Hi,

I have a problem with syslinux.cfg.  I can boot successfully by typing
on the boot: prompt but not from an entry in syslinux.cfg.

The command line is
boot: vmlinuz initrd=dvzip1.img root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=8192<enter>

However if I enter the label of the kernel to boot, it fails to run
/sbin/init and in its absence /sbin/sh.  The kernel boots correctly but
gets stuck after the following messages, after which I have to do a hard
reboot.

autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed

Could it be that the kernel command line is not formed correctly?  Is
there a way to print out the kernel command line.

I am trying to create a bootable Iomega Zip disk using an internal Zip
drive.  After some experimenting, I managed to boot off the disk but am
getting stuck at what is probably the last step.

Thanks in advance.
CheeChun

syslinux.cfg
DEFAULT dvs
PROMPT  1

LABEL dvs
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=dvzip1.img root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=8192

Software version