[syslinux] syslinux 1.75

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Thu Jul 4 03:57:16 PDT 2002

Hi,

Geddes <jgeddes at unb.ca> schrieb am 03.07.02 14:23:20:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm setting up a diskless linux system using pxelinux. I have reached the
> point where the kernel boots and init starts. However, I'am getting this
> message:
>
> INIT: version 2.78 booting
> can't create lock file /etc/mtab~14: Read-only file system (use -n flag to
> override)
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> I have made sure that my export is rw and no_root_squash for my tftpboot
> directory that contains the root files(/tftpboot/test). Also, I set permissions
> for /tftpboot/test/etc as 777 and /tftpboot/test/tmp as 1777.

Seems that your kernel mounts the root-FS ro (what is ok, this is the usual behaviour),
but that it doesn't mount it rw before mounting other filesystems.

What makes me wonder is that there's nothing to do in your 'sysinit' runlevel,
since your init just switches to runlevel 2 without doing anything (useful?).

Look at the various nfsroot howtos available, they tell you how to set this up that
it works.

BTW: This has nothing to do with pxelinux itself.

> Note: I have replaced the pxelinux.0 from 1.75 with the one from 1.74
> because the kernel would not load. I would get a message:
> boot:
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

1.74 had some problems. Maybe they occured here.

Regards,

Josef