[syslinux] Question concerning booting from Floppy Drive

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jul 4 12:37:25 PDT 2002

David Reimer wrote:
> First I'd like to thank you, and everyone who has contributed to the
> isolinux development. It has been the solution to many of my development
> needs.
>
> Currently I am creating a Linux system that runs directly from CD.
> Currently the CD is working and I am using isolinux to boot the CD. The
> compressed kernel is approximately 2 meg and the compressed initial
> ramdisk is approximately 4 meg. What I am interested in is using a
> floppy to boot the kernel and initial ramdisk which are on the CD. Is
> the a way to use a floppy to boot strap the isolinux system which is on
> the CD, or if this is not possible, or just a bad idea is there a way to
> boot the kernel and initial ramdisk on the CD using a floppy in some
> other fashion. The reason I am interested in doing this is that many of
> the systems that I currently have can not boot directly from CD and the
> kernel and initial ramdisk are to big to fit on a floppy or floppies.
> Unfortunately, loadlin is not a solution due to its kernel and ramdisk
> size limitations. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

It's not possible unless you go kernel hacking.  If you're not bootinf
from a CD-ROM, the BIOS cannot talk to it.  You could make the kernel
load a ramdisk from the CD -- this isn't an "initial ramdisk" anymore,
since that is by definition is loaded by the boot loader -- but that is
a custom kernel mod.