[syslinux] isolinux bug?

Izzy Blacklock izzyb at ecn.ab.ca
Sun Jul 7 22:54:59 PDT 2002

On Sunday 07 July 2002 17:22, you wrote:
> Izzy Blacklock wrote:
> > Please forgive me if this is a known issue or "feature".  I didn't notice
> > anything in the list archives or the docs, so I'm assuming this is a bug.
> >
> > I was attempting to create a bootable LFS cd using the instructions found
> > at http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/boot-cd_easy.txt. I wasn't
> > following the steps exactly as I had some personal changes I wanted to
> > make.  One of them was the name of my kernel image.  This is where I
> > found the bug(?).
> >
> > Instead of using lfskernel for the name as Thomas outlined in his
> > instructions, I chose to use "vmlinuz-lfs".  I put the kernel in the
> > isolinux directory with this name and modified the isolinux.cfg as
> > follows:
>
> That name is too long to remain unchanged by mkisofs unless mkisofs is
> passed the -l option.
>
> Mount your CD-ROM or ISO image using -o norock,nojoliet to see the
> filenames the way ISOLINUX sees them.
>
> 	-hpa

Thanks.  I did not know about the mkisofs limits.  As it turns out, I was
using a -l in my mkisofs command line.  Should I still have had the problem?
My command line was as follows (except for the line breaks of course):

mkisofs -R -l -L -D -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "LFS_$(date +%Y%m%d)"
$LFS | cdrecord -v -eject dev=0,0,0 speed=4 -

No big deal either way.  Now that I know about the problem, using a shorter
Kernel name works for me.  Sorry to have bothered you with the false alarm.

...Izzy