[syslinux] ISC DHCPD Problem and Solution.

Gal Goldschmidt gal at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Jul 23 06:00:30 PDT 2002

Hi,

I already solved this problem, I offer this a part of the FAQ or as a starting
point for an FAQ addition
I was using the RH pxe support, but I got tired of pressing F8.
I wanted to make a few machines to auto boot without any intervetion, well
that's what dhcp/bootp/pxe is all about right?

I followed the HOWTO on the pxelinux site.
I desperately upgraded to the latest  ISC 3.1p9.

The problem popped up when I inserted:
  if exists dhcp-parameter-request-list {
    append dhcp-parameter-request-list 208, 209, 210, 211;
  }

All the station in that group suddenly did not receive the net mask, routers,
DNS server and domain option.
It seems that only IP and the above options where transfered.
I googled for a solution, but nothing, like I was the only one with this
problem ( may be I am?).
Finally I decide to forcibly make the PXE "eat" this parameters.
I read the RFC ( http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2132.html ).
I found the required options and changed the line to read:
   if exists dhcp-parameter-request-list {
                # Always send the PXELINUX options, we need to insist on
                # 1=net mask 3=routers 6=domain name server 15=local domain
                # name
                append dhcp-parameter-request-list 1, 3, 6, 15, 208, 209, 210,
211;
        }
And it is working.

Just my 2c.