[syslinux] pxelinux und tokenring

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Jul 31 09:08:50 PDT 2002

Hi,

Thomas Buttinger <gap0001 at gaponline.de> schrieb am 31.07.02 16:48:47:
> is pxelinux intended to work with Token Ring Cards ?

yes, works like a charm with the pxe 1 rom.

> cause i have a nice IBM Token Ring PCI Card (olympic) and sadly pxelinux
> hangs
> when trying to get the configfiles via tftp...
> last message: "Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/<hexip>" but no tftp packet
> was
> sent
> (serverlog empty, ethereal shows no packet either) i tried versions 1.67,
> 1.75, 2.00-pre4... using ethernet, pxelinux works great :)

I have it working since 1.48, and I've seen it working until now.

What does your Card show in 'AL-' in the pxe window?
If it shows something like 'AL-00003 AL17AH2' (note the final '2'!) there's a
pxe 2 rom flashed to it. Get the PXE 1 Flash disk from the IBM web page
(I use 3.20 at the moment) and reflash the rom.

BTW, the 'IBM Token Ring PCI Adapter' doesn't work, it can only boot via RPL.
Every newer card (i.e. IBM Token Ring PCI Adapter 2, Wake on Lan, low profile, ...)
should work if it uses the PXE 1 rom.

With PXE 2 roms I had the problem that it won't load pxelinux at all, newer
Versions get pxelinux loaded, but pxelinux crashes at some point (maybe it didn't
get the correct server IP?).

Regards,

Josef Siemes