[syslinux] VFS: Cannot open root device, pxelinux nfsroot

rob.vogel at hetnet.nl rob.vogel at hetnet.nl
Wed Jun 12 04:17:23 PDT 2002

Hi everyone,

I got the error:

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/smp for linux NET4.0
ds: no socket drivers loaded
request_module[block-major-8]: root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device ""or 08:03
Please append a correct "root"boot option

The strange thing is that it tries to mount from harddisk. This I got somewhere else:
 "the kernel looks like it is trying to boot off of 08:03, which is correct, /dev/sda3."
sda3 is indeed the root partition of the scsi harddisk.

It seems the kernel tries to mount /dev/sda3 as root instead of mounting the directory offered by nfsserver.

VFS: Cannot open root device ""or 08:03
Please append a correct "root"boot option
So it does't even mention to try mounting with nfs protocol.

Getting kernel goes ok, so there seems to be some misunderstanding between pxelinux config file and nfsserver.
These are my config files:

/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default I got:
LABEL  linux
KERNEL  bzImage
APPEND root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/netboot/base

/etc/exports:
/netboot/base       192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)

/etc/hosts.allow:
ALL:ALL

/etc/hosts.deny:
 is empty

rpcinfo -p : says portmapper, mountd and nfs are active.

My log that logs all says nothing after DHCPPACK for ip assignment by dhcpd and "tftp: client does not accept options" which is normal I understand.

I have also tried to use other kernels and root filesystems (in /netboot/base, client was supposed to nfs) but without succes.
The kernels I made all gave the error:

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/smp for linux NET4.0
ds: no socket drivers loaded
request_module[block-major-8]: root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device ""or 08:03
Please append a correct "root"boot option

And a kernel I ripped of a bootflop gave not the error:
ds: no socket drivers loaded
but has propably not the necessary modules for nfsroot compiled.

I am at a loss, I have no idee why it's not working.
If anyone has a sugestion I would very much apreciate it.
If anyone who uses pxelinux in combination with nfsroot, could say if at least the config files are ok would be very helpfull as well.

Rob